Selective Mutism in Early Childhood
Dr. Mary Turri
6:30pm - 8:30pm
Date: Apr 19, 2023 | Time: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Selective Mutism is an anxiety disorder that while rare (less than 1% of the population) usually starts during the early childhood years. Participants will learn about the symptoms of Selective Mutism and how it may present in school settings. Through this workshop, attendees will learn how to identify possible selective mutism in children in their classrooms, and where to get support. Intervention techniques for encouraging talking at school will also be introduced.
Dr. Mary Turri
Dr. Mary Turri is a Registered Psychologist at the Richmond Early Childhood Mental Health Program, as well as the BC Autism Assessment Network at Sunny Hill Health Centre. She holds her Ph.D. in School and Applied Child Psychology from UBC, where she currently serves as an adjunct professor. Mary works with individuals and their families from early childhood to adolescence experiencing difficulties in development, learning, behaviour, and emotions.
Policies & Guidelines:
- It is the responsibility of the participant to ensure that the training selected is suitable for their learning needs.
- Participants are expected to follow the Classroom Code of Conduct.
- Training starts at the listed time. Late arrivals over 15 minutes will not receive credit for full hours.
- To receive a certificate, participants must attend a minimum of half of the workshop/course and complete an anonymous survey.
- Certificates can be accessed through the subscriber portal and printed by the participant at home for no fee. There is a $10 charge for requests to reprint a certificate up to 2 years from the workshop/course date.
- Handouts are provided at presenter discretion. Workshop content is copyrighted material and photographs/screenshots of slides are not permitted without permission from presenter. Any additional materials will be shared after the workshop by email.
- Child care is not provided during workshops / courses, and we are unable to accommodate them. Please make appropriate child care arrangements in advance.
- In-Person Training:
Registration can be completed in-person or online. Online registration receipts will be sent by email and a transaction history can also be accessed through the subscriber portal.
- Online Training:
Registration must be completed online only. Receipts will be sent by email and a transaction history can also be accessed through the subscriber portal. If you require assistance with registration, our staff can help you in-person at our office.
- Respect the presenter and attendees by being mentally present and actively participating in the workshop. Cell phones should be off or muted, and try not to disturb the class.
- The classroom is a safe space for people to share their thoughts, experiences, and feelings. The purpose of training is to learn and grow from our mistakes, not judge others.
- Everyone has the right to privacy; what is said in class should stay in class.
- Assume the best intent.
Parking is available in a variety of locations around the CCRR and Richmond Caring Place.
- Paid parking is available in the Richmond Caring Place lot (entrance off of Minoru Blvd) or in the City of Richmond parking lot (entrance off of Granville Ave).
- Free parking is available evenings after 4pm and weekends in the parking lot entering from Granville Ave.
- Two 30-min free parking spaces can be found in the Richmond Caring Place lot for quick visits – please register your vehicle at the Caring Place front desk.
- Additional street parking can be found along Minoru Blvd (with restrictions) or in the auxiliary parking lot of Richmond Secondary School.
- Cancellations received 5 business days or prior to the workshop have the option to receive a credit for the full amount or may choose to receive a refund of fees less a $10 administration fee. Courses over $100 are subject to a $25 administration fee.
- Cancellations received less than 5 business days prior to the workshop, or no-shows for any reason, will not receive a refund or credit. No refunds/credits will be issued once a course starts, no exceptions.
- RCRG may cancel a workshop at any time. Registrants will be notified and receive a full refund or credit.
- Workshop credits expire after a time period of 6 months, except in the case of workshop cancellations which do not expire.
To register for this workshop please sign in or create an account.
Registration closes: April 17th
Spaces available: 17
Credit Hours: 2
RLNR / Student, or Individual, or Organization account $20.00