Poison Control centre is available in 150 different languages, and 24/7. Remember that this is not a substitute for 911! Many poisonings can be prevented. It only takes a minute to learn about how to prevent a poisoning and what to do if it happens. Here are a few facts:
- Over half of all poisonings occur in children younger than 6 years of age.
- Every hour at least one child in British Columbia is poisoned.
- The most common “poisons” in children are cough/cold medicines, pain and fever medicine, plants and cleaners.
- Most poisonings in children happen just before lunch and before dinner when children are hungry and least supervised.
- “Child-proof” caps are not child-PROOF, they are only child-RESISTANT.