Preschool Support Worker
Rompers Preschool, Thompson Community Centre
Thompson Early Learning is seeking two qualified Support Workers to expand our dedicated team of educators in Rompers Preschool.
This job is for you if you:
- value working in a team environment,
- are passionate about how children learn,
- enjoy facilitating children's learning by following and expanding on children's interests and abilities through play-based and inquiry-based multisensory experiences,
- are confident, knowledgeable and experienced in working with children with diverse abilities,
- believe strongly in the benefits of inclusion in early learning settings, and
- wish to make a difference in the lives of children and in the community.
Hours Per Week:
Type of Child Care:
City / Town:
As soon as possible
June 14th, 2024
Other: See Below
Salary: $22.56-$26.40 per hour
Extended health benefits package available after successful three-month probation (for employees working 20 hours or more per week).
Provides support when a child requiring extra support is in attendance,, while reporting to the Preschool Coordinator, Ensures the well-being of the child(ren) in the program and promotes their development in assisting the child(ren) in their physical, social, emotional and daily life skills development. Examples of specialized supports may include, but are not limited to communication and social skills development, personal hygiene, emotional support, severe behaviour intervention and management, and physical/mobility assistance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Be involved in the programming process to ensure activities accommodate and promote inclusion in all aspects of the program.
- Incorporate children requiring extra support into regular programming when possible or ensure alternate plans are available.
- Identify the abilities, interests and needs of children and recommend individualized and group activities based on these.
- Provide program staff with direction and relevant information to develop and/or adapt an indoor and outdoor environment that allows for accessibility and safety of children requiring extra support.
- Conduct activities with child on an individual and/or group basis.
- Attend regular meetings with staff, families, and other organizations.
- In collaboration with Supported Child Care Development consultant from Aspire Richmond, other agencies and the family: contribute to the development, implementation and evaluation of Individual Service Plans or Care Plans for child requiring extra support.
- May recommend referrals or additional services for children with professionals such as behavioural therapists, occupational therapists and speech language pathologists in cooperation with Preschool Instructor and Preschool Coordinator
- Work with appropriate agencies to acquire resources for children requiring extra support.
- Attend to child’s physical needs, which include toileting, eating, and carrying (must be able to carry up to 40 lbs for short periods of time).
- Ensure child’s emotional safety by assisting with developing appropriate social skills.
- Administer medications as required in accordance with established policy.
- Monitor children in indoor and outdoor activities;
- Ensure classroom safety as outlined by Child Care Licensing Regulations; follow proper facility protocol.
- Keep program facilities and equipment safe and clean, reporting any repairs and concerns to senior staff.
- Record pertinent information daily in the communication book.
- May be required to produce and/or contribute to referrals, reports, etc. for parents or other professionals.
- Report incidents and concerns to supervisor.
- Responsible to fill out Incident and First Aid Report forms.
- Responsible to document and report child abuse to supervisors and the Ministry of Child and Family Development.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a recognized post-secondary program in special needs assistance equivalent to Early Childhood Education Post Basic (Special Needs Specialization) certificate or an Education Assistant (EA) certificate.
- Minimum one year of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of training, experience and/or education.
- Emergency Child Care First Aid or Standard First Aid including CPR Level C or higher.
- BCRPA High Five - Principles of Healthy Child Development Certification (or willing to obtain)
Licensing Requirements (if applicable) prior to start date:
- Criminal Record Check (CRRP – Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General).
- 19+yrs of age.
- 20+ hours of related child care-related courses.
- Immunization Record.
- ECE certificate Post basic ECE training
- Additional training/courses in behavioural/developmental challenges, autism spectrum, special needs therapies
- Completed guiding and caring courses
- 2nd language
- Sign language
Hours of Work and Wages:
- Start ASAP until June 2024
- Weekday mornings: 7.0 – 22.5 hours per week, depending on schedule
- $22.56-$26.40 per hour, as per Richmond Communities Associations’ Job Evaluation.
- Extended health benefits package available after successful three-month probation (for employees working 20 hours or more per week).
- Successful candidate with valid ECE certificate would be eligible to receive the Ministry of Education and Child Care $4/hr ECE Wage Enhancement.in this position.
Duties may be carried out in a City-owned facility; however, the City is not the Employer for this position. This position is restricted to those legally entitled to work in Canada.
Thompson Community Association works in partnership with the City of Richmond to provide services ranging from preschoolers to seniors. The facility has a large gymnasium, fitness centre, programming rooms and is surrounded by Thompson Community Park. If you value working in a team environment and making a difference in the community this position is for you.
Thompson Community Association is an inclusive employer committed to employment equity objectives and invites applications from all qualified individuals. Should you be contacted and require some form of accommodation during the interview process, please let us know and we will endeavour to meet your needs to the best of our ability.